Friday, August 24, 2018

How to Install Older Nancy Drew Games on Windows 10



Updated (06/01/2023)

When it comes to playing older Nancy Drew games, it seems almost impossible.  However, I have accomplished the impossible and have managed to not only install the disc version of Stay Tuned for Danger, but I have also installed the Original 1998 version of Secrets Can Kill!  For the fact that I was able to install the game is a not only a miracle, I want to share this with all of you Nancy Drew fans as well.

This is for the 1998 version of Secrets Can Kill (No longer purchasable), Stay Tuned for Danger, and Message in a Haunted Mansion. You can also use this strategy for other games if you have any technical problems and it should fix it.  If you have the new download version of Stay Tuned for Danger, then you should have no issues when installing normally, but if you have the original disc or have any issues, then here are the steps that you should follow.

1.  Create a new the Folder in Document
Create a new file in your documents folder.  I would recommend that you name it the game title to make it easier.  For example, I created my folder to be "Stay Tuned for Danger" since that's the game I planned on installing.

2.  Set Up File Installation
Next, you need to go into your disc files and click the "Setup.exe" application.  This will be the same for any download from HeR.  When prompted on "where" to install the game, locate the file you created by clicking browse.  For example, I would be looking for (C:\Users\(User)\Documents\Stay Tuned for Danger). Once you’ve located the file you created, click on it and hit OK.
 
Example: 
(C:\Users\(User)\Documents\Stay Tuned for Danger)
 
3.  Install the Game
Install the game as Recommended and when prompted to install DirectX click, “No, I will Install DirectX myself” and click continue. Once the installation is finished, you should be able to play the game!
 
 Special Trick
If you are installing the game from the disc and its still giving you error.  I would recommend creating a copy of your game discs on your computer.
 
Create a new file in your documents folder and label is as "Game Title_Disc."  Going into the disc, copy all items located in the disc and paste that into the new file "Game Title_Disc."  Once your computer as finished, click the "Setup.exe" file and install as normal. Since all the game files are on your computer you might not need to install it into a special folder (But if it won't after trying this method then uninstall the program and try again with the instructions listed above.

Special Tip for SCK:
If you want to learn how to play the original SCK without disc switching, check out my How To Install The Original Secrets Can Kill Without Discs, where I tell you how to install the game and how to get rid of the disc.
 
Thank you all for reading!  If you have any questions on the process, then please let me know and I will try to help if possible.  Also, if this has helped you please share it with other Nancy Drew fans so that they can play some of these older games too!  This should work for all versions of Windows programs.  It doesn't matter if your using Boot Camp or Parallels, Windows 7-10.  When it comes to Windows 11, I will admit I cannot test this method out, but you should be able to install the games normally without any issues.

Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. Loved being able to play the older Nancy Drew games on our Windows 10 Bootcamp side! Thank you so much for finding & sharing!

    Daniella
    littlebookspy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am too! We will now be able to play Older Nancy Drew games when ever we want!

      Delete