Friday, January 8, 2021

Sherlock Holmes And the Hound of the Baskervilles Review


Pull out your bubble pipe, grab your magnifying glass, and put on your deerstalker hat as its time to solve Sherlock Holmes And the Hound of the Baskervilles!  During one of Steams sales I finally decided to finally get the full Sherlock Holmes Collection on Steam with gave me every single Sherlock Holmes game on Steam from Frogwares!  This game was developed by Waterlily Games and published by Frogwares on November 11, 2010.  Sherlock Holmes And the Hound of the Baskervilles is a casual hidden object and puzzle game based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novel The Hound of the Baskervilles.  So let's get started!
Sherlock Holmes And the Hound of the Baskervilles: Rodger Baskerville's Room Present

Game Description
Help Sherlock Holmes, the famed detective, investigate the legend of a supernatural hound on the fog-shrouded moorland in England of the 19th century. Immerse yourself into the dangerous world of diabolical curse and discover the truth of the monstrous creature.

Key features:
Unusual representation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most read book

Incredible gameplay combining hidden object and puzzle game

Over 35 locations to explore

Choose your level of difficulty: additional or limited help and hints, quick or slow hint recharge, easy or hard puzzles and Hidden Objects.

Sherlock Holmes And the Hound of the Baskervilles: Rodger Baskerville's Room Past

Storyline
I think that this games storyline was quite different compared to the other Sherlock Holmes games that I've played in the past.  This game focus more on the supernatural and magical aspect in the game with Sherlock having the ability to time travel from the time that the murder was originally committed and back to the present.  Though this isn't apart of the classic Sherlock Holmes storyline which mainly focuses on fact instead of fiction.

I will admit when it comes to Sherlock Holmes I have always preferred when games stick to more logical aspect of what happened.  However, I feel that this game was able to balance out the ability to time travel in a sense that made it feel as if you were only looking back at the situation.  Giving it more of a classic Sherlock Holmes feeling instead of being soul focused on the supernatural.  So I will say that this storyline change was done fairly well.

Sherlock Holmes And the Hound of the Baskervilles: Elizabeth's Baskerville's Room Present

Puzzles
When it came to the different types of puzzles you can solve, whether it was a hidden object or one of the puzzles in the game I found that both of these to be fairly easy to solve without needing any walkthrough.  Though there were a few puzzles that really were difficult, that I ultimately cheated on just to speed up the process since I played the game 3 different times before writing this review with the goal in mind to earn all the awards.  Though I will admit that that there was only one award that seems to elude me, and that is the First Day at School award.  Honestly earning all of these awards were one of the biggest challenges in this game since the requirements were fairly high.  I really enjoyed trying to earn each and trying to use it to advance my game play.

Sherlock Holmes And the Hound of the Baskervilles: Charles Baskerville's Room Present

World/Graphics
For this game being based on 2D/3D models style game, I though that it ran pretty smooth on my BootCamp Mac.  Sometimes when it comes to some of these older games I have to really play with my graphics to get the best picture quality in my game.  Each location in the game was so much fun to explore and I really like how you had to explore each location to its fullest to move on to the next room and location.  I loved how the Baskerville house was design to be super dark and creepy as if the house seemed to be forgotten after the latest death of Rodger Baskerville.

Sherlock Holmes And the Hound of the Baskervilles: Charles Baskerville's Observatory

Music/Soundtrack
I will admit that since I bought the big collection edition of the games, I was able to also get the soundtrack for the games as well.  I just love the music as each piece really fit the theme of the game.  However, I will admit that some of the suspense themed music wasn't really necessary during some parts of the gameplay as it would play suspenseful music during calmer portions of the game in my opinion.  Still, I really enjoyed the 5 different tracks that were available and I have now added them to my game soundtrack playlist.

Thank you everyone for reading.  I had such a great time playing this game and I cannot wait to play another classic Frogwares Sherlock Holmes game!  If you want to see more of my Sherlock Holmes related posts, check out all my Sherlock Holmes posts!  If you want look for similar game recommendations, you can also check out my Games Review page.  So are you looking to solve the Baskerville Curse?

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment