Friday, January 29, 2021

Sherlock Holmes The Mystery of the Persian Carpet Review



I've been in a Sherlock Holmes mood ever since I bought the complete Sherlock Holmes collection on Steam in 2020.  Now that I've had time to sit down and play these games, I thought it would be great idea to start by playing some of the Sherlock Holmes games that I never played before.  Sherlock Holmes The Mystery of the Persian Carpet was developed and published by Frogwares in 2008.  The Mystery of the Persian Carpet was one of the first casual Sherlock Holmes games produced by Frogwares.  So let's get started!

The Mystery of the Persian Carpet: Holme's Desk

Game Description
Hunker down at your London flat at 221b Baker St. The year is 1896, and Scotland Yard has called Sherlock Holmes with an urgent request for help. A young painter has been found murdered and rolled up in a remarkable Persian carpet. Along with Watson, you must investigate the peculiar crime, exploring crime scene locations in search of missing clues.

Interact with suspects, and analyze police reports and witness statements to solve the crime and unravel the mystery of the Persian carpet!

Search for crime scene for hidden objects, analyze clues and Police findings, investigate numerous suspects, review your progress by studying the Holmes' Deduction Board, interactive gameplay, detailed, atmospheric 3D scenes, period background music, and bonus mini-puzzle games!

The Mystery of the Persian Carpet: Holme's Analysis Table

Storyline
When it came to the storyline I found it particularly interesting.  When you think about a game involving murder, you would think that the game would be a little more dark and depressing but nope!  This game makes it seem a little too happy especially since its about murder.  Unlike other games, this game is based off of 7 different levels each increasing with difficulty and bring in new puzzles for you to solve as you get closer to the killer.  Honestly, I felt that this game was a little distant and even though you search through the evidence to find each clue to catch the killer, to then piece everything together.  Still even with the game being a little distant in nature, I still enjoyed trying to piece what happened together.

The Mystery of the Persian Carpet: Holme's Deduction Board

Puzzles
When it came to the puzzles in this game I was having a ton of trouble.  It wasn't that these puzzles were difficult it was the fact that they weren't very well explained.  I think one of the most difficult puzzles had to be the deduction board at the very end of the game.  I honestly had no idea what I was even doing when it came to selecting each piece to construct the crime.

The Mystery of the Persian Carpet: Holme's and Watson

World/Graphics
Though the game is set to limited locations, I really like the 3D aspect that the game was able to create though most of everything else in the game is still based on a 2D platform.  I will admit that I really enjoyed what the game offered in its sense of graphics.  Honestly, this game could have been more of a a point and click instead of a simple hidden object in my opinion and I think that it would have made the game super fun.

The Mystery of the Persian Carpet: Joker Card Hidden Note

Music/Soundtrack
Out of the whole game I think my favorite part has to be the music in the game.  It was perfect as it seemed to relate to Sherlock fairly well.  The music from this game is also in Sherlock Holmes Versus Jack the Ripper.  However only one piece is actually taken from the game which is titled, "Sherlock Holmes Versus Jack the Ripper -Baker Street.  But that doesn't mean you can't find the music online.  Which if you want to checkout the music you can find it on YouTube under Sherlock Holmes The Mystery of the Persian Carpet Baker Street Theme.

Thank you everyone for reading!  Even though this game was somewhat more challenging than I expected, I still had fun playing the game and exploring 1896 London to solve this case.  If you want to see more of my Sherlock Holmes related posts, check out all my Sherlock Holmes posts!  If you want look for similar game recommendations, you can also check out my Games Review page.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment