Friday, March 13, 2020

Draugen Review


Peace, calm, and mystery is what I love in any game. Draugen has all of these characteristics and so much more. Draugen is a first person, Fjord Noir mystery game set in 1920's Norway. When I first came across Draugen earlier this year, I was super excited for its release on the PS4. I want to thank Charlene from Player Two PR and Red Thread Games for the opportunity to review Draugen on the PS4! Draugen was originally released on for PC, Mac, and Linux on May 29th, 2019; and released for Xbox One and PS4 on February 21, 2020.  So let's get started! 

Disclaimer:
*I was sent a code for this game in return for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.*

Draugen: Boat Ride to Graavik

Game Description
"The year is 1923. You play Edward Charles Harden, an American traveller — and increasingly unreliable narrator — who's come to Norway to find his missing sister. But you're never alone: every step of the way, Edward is accompanied by Lissie: a lively and enigmatic young woman with a mind of her own.


Together with Edward and Lissie, you must explore a forgotten coastal community nestled amongst the dark fjords and towering mountains of rural Norway, and unearth the terrible secrets that lie beneath the picturesque surface. And what begins as a quest for a missing woman becomes a journey into a painful past."

Draugen: Graavik Landscape

Graphics/World Design
The game is gorgeous! The calm water at the beach, the tall majestic waterfall, the autumn colored tree leaves, and the beautiful mountains in the distance are all just breathtaking.  The amount of detail in this game is surreal and all I want to do is sit and stare at the scenery. I admit, I was super close to plugging in my VR headset and playing the game in movie screen mode. I could see this game being played in VR, especially when you have Edward looking into the mirror.  Everything about this game was beautiful, especially when it rained. It gave it a slightly spooky atmosphere since Edward and Lissie were all alone in Graavik, a ghost town village that had been forgotten to the world, along with its secrets.


Draugen: Edward Drawing Graavik Landscape

Puzzles
Though the game is more story driven, there are a few puzzles that you have the opportunity to solve while playing Draugen. Each puzzle was simple to figure out and after completing each one, the story would advance and you would learn more information about the mystery of this quiet ghost town. I loved being able to explore the island and finding all the extra drawing spots for Edward. Some of them were easy to find, while a few of them I had to really look and search for, which was really fun because you got to see and explore more of the world. As Edward would draw the scenery, you would get a beautiful cinematic clip where you could sit and listen to the beautiful music playing in the background along with the wildlife the surrounding him.


Draugen: Edward & Lissie Character Bio's

Storyline/Characters
I loved the storyline of Draugen. You play as Edward to find his younger sister Elizabeth, more commonly referred to as Betty throughout the game. Now, I won't spoil the storyline and what happens, but pay attention on how Edward and Lissie interact with one another, which was the main focus of the storyline. In a way, I saw Lissie like a little sister to Edward. She was kind and funny, and really cared for him and his well-being, like a little sister. She would always poke him in the ribs and get under his skin, especially when it came to certain situations. This was one of the most important parts of the story, there was a lot more to this relationship than what meets the eye, and what was actually happening.  But once it slowly began to reveal itself, the pieces fell into place and made sense.


Draugen: Lissie Dancing

Music
The music throughout the game was beautiful. I've aways found that music in a game can help set the scene on how the each part of the game should be perceived. For example, in the very beginning when Edward goes up the path and follows Lissie to the house, the music was peaceful, calming, and relaxing. The birds were chirping, the sky was sunny and bright, everything was happy just before the rainstorm. Overall, I loved the music in the game, and my twin Daniella (The Little Book Spy) loved the music so much she decided to buy the album for herself.  If you want to get a copy of the music, you can get Draugen Soundtrack by Simon Poole on iTunes or Steam . 


Draugen: End Credits

The End?
Now I'm not sure if I was the only one who noticed this at the end of the credits, but it said "Edward and Alice will return."  I will admit this has me super excited for future stories with Edward and Alice.  Maybe there will be an another mystery that Edward might use when writing his books or maybe something else that will shine a light on Edward's past.  Whatever it may be, I can't wait to see what Red Thread Games has in store!

Thank you everyone for reading! I had so much fun play Draugen and I highly recommend checking out the game for yourself. Again I want to thank Charlene from Player Two PR and Red Thread Games for the opportunity to review Draugen.  Also thank you Daniella (The Little Book Spyfor helping me edit my review.  If you haven't yet, I would highly recommend getting the game for yourself and experience the story of Edward and Lissie.  You can get the Draugen on Steam, Xbox One, PS4, and GOG.


Red Thread Games

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment