Friday, March 20, 2020

Nancy Drew Secrets Can Kill Original Review


Before Nancy Drew games became what they are today, we first need to look back on the very first Nancy Drew game that was released in on December 23, 1998, Secrets Can Kill. This was the first game that was released for the series and its what started a chain movement for future Nancy Drew games!  It wasn't until the remastered version was released that I found a band new copy of the original game to play.  So today, I'm going to be reviewing and looking back at the very first game. So let's get started!

Secrets Can Kill (1998): Game Map

Game Description
Read Between the Lines to Expose a Killer! A family visit throws you, as Nancy Drew, into the scene of a crime that happened only last night! Jake Rogers is dead, and a secret died with him–or did it? Roll up your sleeves and dig into an engrossing mystery that is full of places to explore, puzzles to solve, suspects to question, danger to evade and evidence to evaluate. A wily killer may still be on the loose…so keep your wits about you in Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill! Please Note: The original version (1998) is no longer available, however, you are able to purchase the REMASTERED version of this mystery PC/Mac game with a new ending and updated graphics.

Secrets Can Kill (1998): Maxine's Diner

Graphics
The very first Nancy Drew game was created using 2D graphics before switching over the 3D graphics that I know a lot of the Nancy Drew fans grew up with (at least for me).  So when I first saw that this was a 3D world with 2D characters I was surprised.  At the time I though all the Nancy Drew games were created using 3D.  Looking at the game now (about 8 years later), I can only describe this game as retro since its it over 21 years old and its aged pretty well since I can still play the game on my Mac (BootCamp Windows 10).


Secrets Can Kill (1998): Jake's Locker

Gameplay
This game is everything that I love about point and click adventure game.  The fun and simple puzzles, the characters and their interaction with Nancy, and the overall exploration of the Paseo Del Mar area.  This is why I loved playing Nancy Drew games, because of all of these aspects.  I will admit that thought this is a classic point and click adventure game, it also means that you have the fun of having to using not only one disc but two which you have to flip between to play certain parts of the game.  Though I love playing this game, the disc switching isn't very fun.

Secrets Can Kill (1998): Aunt Eloise Puzzle Box

Puzzles
This game is filled with fun and interesting puzzles throughout Aunt Eloise's home, the high school, and the diner.  Some of the puzzles include a slider puzzle in Aunt Eloise's safe.
Such as the the scrambled messages on the bulletin boards at Paseo Del Mar High School, and at Maxine's certain words or letters are highlighted in the menu to give you hints clues on things you need to look out for in the game.

Secrets Can Kill (1998): Paseo Del Mar High School Library

Storyline
The story focus on Nancy being asked by her Aunt Eloise to investigate a murder at Paseo del Mar High School while Nancy is visiting.  It seems like before this first game that Nancy is already well known for solving mysteries.  Her letter also implies it which makes me wonder what kind of mysteries that she solved before SCK.  I would guess these previous cases refers to the original book series, however this is still the first mystery for us to play.


Secrets Can Kill (1998): Paseo Del Mar High School

Now back to the game, I loved how we were able to go under cover to solve this mystery.  Even though 1 of the 4 suspect knew that Nancy was investigating, I honestly would have suggested that none of the students knew about Nancy investigating (which was re-written in the remastered version).  Still it gave Nancy a better understanding of what was going on at the school with a little bit of insider information with the Student Council President.

Thank you everyone for reading! This game is probably one of my most prized positions of all my Nancy Drew games since the no longer produce this game anymore. The only way you could get this game is to possibly get a used one on Amazon or Ebay, and I bet they're not cheap either.  So what do you think of the original Secrets Can Kill?  Let me know in the comments below.  
If you want to see more of my Nancy Drew related posts, check out all my Nancy Drew posts!  Also check out my other Game Reviews for new recommendations of games that I have played. 

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment