Friday, March 19, 2021

Nancy Drew The Haunting of Castle Malloy Review


Happy Saint Patrick's Day! This week, I though it would be fun to finally write my review for Nancy Drew The Haunting of Castle Malloy, and since Saint Patrick's Day was celebrated earlier this week I thought it would be fun!  The Haunting of Castle Malloy is the 19th game in the Nancy Drew series was released on October 16th, 2008 by Her Interactive.  So let's get started!

The Haunting of Castle Malloy: Kyler Mallory

Game Description
"Unveil a Ghostly Legend and Find a Vanished Groom! Touted as the most romantic event to grace the ruined halls of Ireland’s Castle Malloy, the Simmons-Mallory wedding was supposed to be a fairytale beginning, but now the groom is missing! Did a banshee crash the wedding or is this a case of cold feet? Can you, as Nancy Drew, unravel the knot of scattered clues and scary superstitions? You’ll need to catch more than a bridal bouquet to make this a happily ever after!"

The Haunting of Castle Malloy: Malloy Grave's

Storyline
I really loved the storyline in this game.  The stories main focus is on finding Matt before the wedding.  While you investigate you being to learn more and more about Castle Malloy's sad and tragic past.  I loved how HeR tied together the past and present situation of the Malloy family.  As it showed how the history of Castle Malloy and the Malloy family.  It defiantly added a layer of depth to understanding what really happened so many years ago and how it tied in to Matt going missing and how to find him.  I honestly loved how HeR chose to ended the game since it was so cute and sweet.

The Haunting of Castle Malloy: Juice Mixing Mini Game

Puzzles
Out of all the Nancy Drew games, I think this game has to have some of the most fun yet difficult puzzles one could imagine.  Many of the puzzles and super simple and easy to explain and follow a set pattern on how to solve everything.  However, *Spoiler* one of the worst puzzles you could ever imagine is in this game, and that is the end game Chemical Puzzle.  Everything in that puzzle is super sensitive and you are very likely to explode a few times due to breaking a chemical or putting the chemical in the wrong container.  But other than this finicky little puzzle, this games puzzles are super enjoyable especially since some of them are wedding themed!

The Haunting of Castle Malloy: Malloy Crows

World/Graphics
I really enjoyed exploring Ireland in this game.  I especially like how HeR took a different approaches on how Nancy walked around to different locations.  Each location distance was a lot farther than the usual few clicks.  I do remember that there was a few times when I was playing that the game would freeze or Nancy would get stuck in a specific locations on the map which I think have been fixed with updates if you play the digital download.  I will admit that having Nancy walking around the maps is slightly time consuming since you are required to walk around everything.  Later in the game, you will find a jet pack and have the ability to fly around the map to all your destinations a faster!  This definitely improves the walking mechanic since you don't have to walk around everything and all you need to fly over it.  Just don't go out over the cliffs, you seem to lose power if you fly too far out.

The Haunting of Castle Malloy: Bog Hut Sewing Table

Music/Soundtrack
I love the music in this game as most of the music is just so calm and almost has a sleepy quality to it.  I just love listening to this music in my spare time.  There are a total of 4 different tracks for the game available for sale and I just love listening to Fiona's Grand Past as it is my favorite tack to listen to.

Thank you everyone for reading!  I love plaything this game every Saint Patrick's Day and I have so much fun playing this game every year.  Except for the chemical puzzle, I will pretend that it doesn't exist.  If you want to see more of my Nancy Drew related posts, check out all my Nancy Drew posts!  Also check out my other Game Reviews for new recommendations of games that I have played.  You can get Nancy Drew The Haunting of Castle Malloy on Steam or at Her Interactive where you can get a free strategy guide!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment