Friday, March 26, 2021

Return to Zork Review


Out of all the Zork games, this game has to be the one that has ultimately been the trickiest to finish.  Return to Zork was developed and published by Infocom and Activision on August 11th, 1993. Return to Zork was the first fully graphic themed game using the point and click system in the Zork series, followed by two more games released in the series.  So let's get started!

Return to Zork: Valley of the Sparrows/Vally of the Vultures

Game Description
According to the myth, the Great Underground Empire of Zork was destroyed and all evil magic was dispersed. But now, the IT&L Corporation claims to have discovered the mythical dark recesses beneath the Valley of the Sparrows.  Since their discovery, nightmares have become common. People have vanished. Buildings have disappeared. You, the unwitting traveler, must save the underground empire from the forces of evil.

Return to Zork: A mesmerizing interactive adventure of danger, intrigue and cunning. Explore amazing territory and face one fascinating puzzle after another.
Spectacular Production Value: An entrancing game filled by a cast of Hollywood stars. Revel in a superb soundtrack with over 180 original compositions.
Amazing Interface: An interactive interface before its time! Quickly and easily master complex interactions. Choose your conversational tone, from threatening to friendly, for different responses from the characters you meet. Snap pictures and tape record conversations to review at any time.
The Experience: A story so compelling novice adventurers will be enthralled. A puzzle structure so challenging even the most experienced game players will not be able to sleep. It’s an adventure you’ll never forget.

Return to Zork: Tele-Orb Wizard Trembyle

Storyline
I will admit that when I first began playing the game that I was super intrigued with the storyline, you the unnamed hero that won a sweepstakes competition to visit the Vally of the Sparrow!  Which has dramatically changed over the last couple of years.  So it doesn't look exactly like the ad our hero receives in the mail, but I think that definitely makes it interesting for the player to figure out what happens.  I will admit that I really enjoyed the storyline of the game as it explore so many different aspect of the Underground world and I will admit I had a ton of fun exploring everything, even though I got lost a few times.

Return to Zork: The Ferryman

Puzzles
Out of all the Zork games, this one has to have some of the most difficult puzzle in the entire series!  This game is very choice sensitive so don't go walking around and tapping people with swords!  You might accident kill them and result in "The Guardian" to show up and make it physically impossible to win the game, since you need all the items to help solve all the puzzle.  Which leads me to warn you, "Save the game often!"

This game does not have a second chance button and if you forget to save often then you will have to start back at your last save.  There are many cases in the game where you are required to perform specific action to progress in the game.  Such as being able to walk in the blind forest and making sure you have milk to keep you from going blind and getting lost in the maze.  Or navigating the bog from the witches house and you must use the stick otherwise you will drown and if for some reason you go the wrong way you might have to restart when ever you last saved which is not fun if you haven't save for over an hour or more.

Return to Zork: Hero's Memorial

World/Graphics
These graphics has held up very well over the last 28+ years since it was first released.  Though these aren't high quality standard graphics we have today, I will admit that the design or each location and character we're very well incorporated.  Especially since the characters implemented using live action.  I honestly enjoyed exploring the world and the graphics definitely made me reminisce about all the old school PC games and how these were considered such high quality graphics.

Return to Zork: Hero's Memorial

Music/Soundtrack
Out of all the Zork games, the music in this game has to be some of the weirdest I have ever heard.  Though it does match the style of the game since the game in its self was styled to be a joke.  I still find it funny when ever it comes on rotation in my music playlist.  I was able to get mp3 files of all the music off of The Zork Library which was a fan created site sharing everything about the world of Zork!  SO if you want to get the soundtrack for yourself you can find it at The Zork Library: Return to Zork page.

Return to Zork: Boos Myller

Game Extra's
After I purchased my copy of Zork on Steam I decided to search the internet for anything Zork related since I wanted to see what was out there for the game.  Well, in my search I found The Zork Library, a fan sight where they uploaded a tone of information not only about Zork Nemesis, but all the Zork games!  Which includes images, audio files for the 3 interactive games, strategy guides, game patches for those who own the original CD, and so much more!  I was super excited to find this site since there were so many things I found there that I thought would be useful for players, I decided to share it here.  So I would highly recommend checking them out as there are a ton of fun things to learn and discover about the Zork universe.

Thank you everyone for reading!  Though this game was difficult to get though (due to my own lack of saving), I still had a great time playing it and finally exploring a bit more of the Zork universe.  So remember, save often and have multiple saves!  If you want look for game recommendations you can check out my Games Review page.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment