Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Homemade Hot Cocoa Recipe


If you’ve been following my Twitter then you’ve probably see me talk about my homemade hot cocoa.  Well, Christmas has come early today as I decided to dedicate this 19th Blogmas post to the recipe that I use to make my homemade cocoa.  The great thing about this recipe is how malleable it be.  For those of you that are vegan or can’t eat any dairy products this recipe could be changed to fit your wants.

Ingredients:
2 Cups of Powder Sugar
1 Cup of Dutch Cocoa
2 1/2 Cups Powder Milk (Powder Soybean Milk or other powder milk substitute)
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch

Instructions:
1.  In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.
2.  Once you have mixed together all the ingredients place the mixture in an air tight container.

Now before you question the salt portion.  I know I did when I first found this recipe.  The salt in a way kind of offset the sweetness from the sugar in recipe, giving it a nice and balanced flavor.  The original recipe call for 1 teaspoon of salt, but I find that some times less is more and decided to change it to 1/4 of a teaspoon.

When it comes to making a cup of cocoa, I find that in a 10 oz. cup, using 3 tablespoons of the cocoa mixture gives it a really good flavor.  I would also highly recommend that you use milk instead of water for you cocoa.  It helps give it a super reach and creamy flavor where if you use water it will taste like watered down hot cocoa.

Thank you for reading!  I hope you all enjoy your new hot cocoa recipe.  I will admit, I haven’t tried to make this recipe with anything but powder milk so if you do make this recipe with a powder milk substitute then please comment about for others to see.


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment