Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Rolled Out Sugar Cookie Recipe


Since it is getting closer to Christmas I wanted to share with everyone my favorite sugar cookie recipe.  I just love using this roll out sugar cookie recipe.  It helps make the cutest sugar cookies cut outs and I use this recipe every year since I found it 4 years ago.  This recipes not only look cute when you use your cookie cutters but they also hold their shape while they bake!  These are easy to make and I can't wait to make another batch.

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups of salted butter
2 Cups of white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
5 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt

1.  To prepare pull out your butter and let it sit to room temperature.  I have always left mine slightly chilled so that the butter still has some stiffness to it.  You don't want melted butter do try to avoid microwave it.

2.  While you're waiting for the butter to get to room temperature, measure out the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.  Mix the dry ingredients together and set this off to the side.

3.  Once butter has reached room temperature cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a stand mixer using a paddle attachment.  Using a stand mixer will make this recipe super easy and less of a mess so I would highly recommend using one.
4.  Slowly mix together the wet and the dry ingredients slowly.  After about putting half of the dry mixture into the mixer replace the paddle with a dough hook.  This will keep your paddle from breaking since your dough will begin to act more like a bread.  Your paddle attachment will possible break if you do not replace it.

5.  Once all the ingredients are mixed together wrap your dough in plastic wrap and chill for either 1 hour or 24 hours.  By chilling the dough you will get better results when you go to roll it out.
6.  When your ready to bake preheat the oven to 400F or 200C.  Then roll your cookies out to either a 1/4 in., 1/2 in., or desired thickness.  I would recommend 1/4 in. so that you don't get to thick of a cookie.

7.  Place the cookies on you're baking sheet with at least a 1/2 in. apart so that they do not stick together, I prefer to use non stick aluminum foil but a cookie baking sheet will work as well.

8.  Cook the cookies for about 9 to 12 minutes or until the bottom of the cookie begins to brown just slightly.

9.  Once your cookies have cooled, you can then decorate them however you choose.  My preferred method is royal icing but I still need to find a vegan or egg free recipe thats easy to make.


Pro Tip:
I would recommend cooking all the dough on the day you make this or roll it all out and freeze your cut outs.  If you leave the dough to sit in the fridge for too long it will start to crack when you go to roll it out next time, leaving you with a wrinkly cookie.

Thank you all for reading, I hope you enjoyed my cookie recipe.  These have to be my favorite cookies to make.  Here a few years ago I posted this recipe on my blog however, it was outdated and old and needed a fresh new look which is why I'm rewriting the post to look a little more professional.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy and keep an eye out for more Blogmas posts!


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment